Okay, long time no update. I’m assuming someone out there is halfway interested in this, so I’ll keep going. Haven’t done a whole lot recently because: A. I work when I feel like it, no sense it making it a chore, this is a hobby B. Waiting on parts C. I’ve mostly been refining what has already been done.

43. If you recall a few posts back I had talked about the two catch cans, with one connected to a K&N breather vented to atmosphere. Well I refined that a little. Now that can has a length of 1/2″ ID hose run down to below the car. Same breather filter in place, but should keep most of the expelled gasses out of the bay. Side benefit is that my bay looks closer to stock, no K&N breather to catch your eye.

44. And here’s it from the topside. I also installed all the plumbing for the Rotrex oiling system. Attached to the top of the left engine mount is the magnetic filter, held in place with a T-bolt clamp bolted to a Nutsert into the mount. Pretty much all the plumbing is now complete with the exception of the IC coolant lines up to the front.

45. Reinstalled some of the heat shields. The left airbox shield is great for protecting the Deka battery mounted to the crossmember, while still leaving room to disconnect the terminals. The right heat shield needed a little modding to clear the AC line (in orange.) Some tin snips and a file did the job. The header is just temporarily mounted to check clearances. I’ll be making a heat shield for the AC compressor as well.

46. Here’s the upper (larger) AC line running through the quarter panel. I got a little worried about heat and chaffing, so I got some silicone covered fiberglass shielding (the orange stuff.) It was slipped over the hose then taped down with silicone tape at the ends to prevent the fiberglass from fraying.

47. Here’s the lower line. Same job with the heat resistant sleeve.

48. Both AC lines meet up at the OE hardline terminals. The large line requires a small section of the plastic fender-liner to be removed. Dremel made easy work of that.

49. The Rotrex oil radiator is mounted to the transmission using two M10 bolts and steel spacers to move it out forward. Web3.0’s normal setup is having the radiator perpendicular to the ground, with a piece of sheet metal bolted to the bottom as a air scoop. Since I have the Beatrush underpanels, I wanted to keep the bottom of the car relatively smooth. So I bent the bracket to allow the radiator the lay back. I then bent up a strip of aluminum to strengthen the setup. You can see the bracket (painted black) bolted to the bottom of the radiator going the upper right where it is bolted to the end of the transmission. This turned out very nice and is incredibly sturdy.

50. Of course the radiator doesn’t do a whole lot of good if it’s covered with an aluminum underpanel. Out came the cutoff wheel. You can see the area I removed in the upper right hand corner. Notice the mounting holes at the bottom. I’ve turned the one on the left into a slot, and did the same to right one right after this photo. This allows removal of this panel to change the oil, while leaving the rear “diaper” panel in place.

51. I was somewhat concerned about the reduced airflow over the Rotrex radiator with it bent back rather than hanging down like Web3.0 intended. So I picked up a 4″ SPAL puller fan. Pretty tiny, but it’s a perfect fit for the radiator. I got a thermal switch (shown) which I intended to mount inline, but space became an issue. I’m now going to use a radiator probe, which is still on its way.


Tags: , , ,